Kindred Games has launched a Kickstarter for its upcoming title, the cooperative open-world RPG, Swords ‘n Magic and Stuff. The crowdfunding campaign, which launched yesterday, is already close to fully funded. The game will release to the PC and Mac in September 2020 on Steam Early Access.
Swords ‘n Magic and Stuff is a game with no classes or levels to be gained. The multiplayer RPG allows players to use whatever weapons and items they can buy, craft or loot, and to play however they wish. Players can journey for epic treasure, enjoy the farm life, craft furniture, or travel the world as a merchant. The developer wants the joy of discovery and curiosity to drive the gameplay.
The game is set in a realm of fantasy once ruled by the now cursed, King Owynn. His Paladins are nowhere to be found and have left to find a cure for the curse. Evil has begun to creep and crawl back into the land. The player will set off as a humble adventurer looking to make a name for themself.
Swords ‘n Magic and Stuff touts itself as a community-driven game. It was developed and designed live on Twitch with an audience of fantasy RPG fans. According to Kindred Games founder, Michael Kocha, fan input is very important to him, and the game is a tribute to that community. The game’s community created some of the in-game lore books and clothing designs. Kocha plans to continue this effort during the remainder of development through the same content submission system.
Some of Swords ‘n Magic’s other features include:
- Play with friends in networked multiplayer
- PvP Arenas to take on friends in battle
- Non-gendered character creation
- Dual wield anything
- No breadcrumbs or quest markers
- Buy, tame and collect mounts and pets
- Seasons and weather effects
- Seasonal events and unique seasonal items
- Mini-games like tavern dice and target practice
- Join factions and rise through the ranks
- Titles that show off accomplishments
- Fish, hunt, grow and harvest resources for cooking
- Collect clothes, hats, and armor for character customization
- Twitch integration to get viewers into the action
- A private, dedicated server that can be hosted by the player
Swords ‘n Magic and Stuff’s crowdfunding campaign will be open for pledges until April 16, 2020, at 9:00 AM EDT. To back this game’s development, visit the Kickstarter.
Eileen is a writer and artist based in Westchester, NY. This creator of websites and human life has accomplished some things and visited some places. When not playing an unhealthy amount of Breath of the Wild, she enjoys playing Call of Duty and indie video games.